Life in the A-Frame

Life in the A-Frame

Saturday, October 11, 2008

The mysterious hole

Amos sat outside in the same spot. I thought he was watching for the cranes that come to feed on our tank but he didn't chase after them as usual. I was busy in the house but after 2 hours I realized that he didn't come to the door to be let in so I was worried. He was still in the same spot that he had been and he was just looking at me. I called, he didn't come. I walked closer and he didn't move. I thought he was sick or hurt. When I got close enough, he got up and ran over to me as he usually did. Then I saw the hole. He had been guarding it. He stood over it, claiming it so I would get the message that it was his hole. Then he stuck his head in and dug. He was caked with dried mud from going into the tank inbetween the digging and the guarding.
Look at the stuff caked on his face and the fur on his chest.
Nothing came out of the hole, (a sigh of relief from me) but he guarded it for two days before he lost interest. I'm not sure what made the hole. It started out about 4 inches in diameter but Amos dug it out so that it was bigger. And, it was in hard, dry dirt. A complete mystery...

No comments: