Life in the A-Frame

Life in the A-Frame

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Dewberry bread pudding


Dewberries: native, wild blackberries

I mixed 4 eggs, 4 cups milk, 1 cup of sugar, 1/2 loaf of day old bread and a sprinkling of cinnamon. Then I added 2 cups of dewberries (that were freshly picked) and baked until the middle was set. Very delicious served with whipped cream or Cool Whip.

I made this in memory of my neighbor who passed away at the age of 84. She used to see me out walking or picking dewberries or tending the garden-and then she would yell at me and tell me not to get too hot. I used to bring her food regularly, pulling my two kids in a red wagon, and she would yell at me that I was going to hurt myself.

This recipe was her favorite because it was lightly sweet, not too sweet-and she loved dewberries and even let me pick the ones around her house. She's been gone a long time but she was my kid's adopted grandmother. Almazona. Her father helped build the church that is right across the road from me...1917. As a child, she once got in trouble because she let her little goat follow her to church. And he came right in...

No comments: