Life in the A-Frame

Life in the A-Frame

Thursday, April 23, 2009

Homemade BBQ and Frijoles a la charra

Mike was able to take the day off yesterday, so we made the most of it-a trip to Home Depot for some new plants and items for home improvement, and lunch out with my daughter. For supper, we found some great pork chops. We also had been saving a jar of homemade BBQ sauce that one of the State Troopers had made. The combination made for some really good grilled pork. I'm hoping the Trooper will share his sauce recipe with me soon...I really need it.






I had made these beans the day before and they were even better today.
Frijoles a la Charra:
Cook a pot of pinto beans (1 1/2 to 2 pounds) after washing and soaking the beans. Drain.
Cover the beans with several inches of water and cook until tender. Salt and pepper to taste.
Add :
a medium onion, chopped
2 cloves chopped garlic
several slices of chopped bacon
1 can of Rotel tomatoes with chilis
a small handful of chopped, fresh cilantro



Simmer the beans for several hours, adding hot water if needed, until they are thick and creamy.
Like this:
The weather was really warm and beautiful. I sat on the deck and watched Mike grill the meat. Very relaxing.


9 comments:

Dawn Marie said...

ohh that looks so good! I'm going to try those beans, I've never made them.

Mom24 said...

Sounds wonderful. That chicken looks amazing!

rosemarie said...

everything looks great,and one thing i really love is bbq,i love trying differant ones..

The Raggedy Girl said...

Oh BBQ sounds so good. We have not unpacked the back yard yet. Thank you for sharing your yummy bean recipe.

The Raggedy Girl--Roberta Anne

KathyB. said...

Don't you just love days like this? And the excursions to Home Depot, the best shopping trips ! If the trooper shares his sauce recipe, will you post it? The chops look especially good!

Dawn Marie said...

I have my beans soaking now...I told ya I'd make em! I'll let you know how they turned out, I've never made these.

Jennifer said...

That looks delicious!

Dawn Marie said...

Okkkk they are done! they rock,,they have just enough of a "bite" to them. Anyone who likes beans--go for it. I think they would be good if you add alittle sour cream on top with cilantro and some cheddar cheese.

Dawn Marie said...

Here is the site where I ordered my words..they have so much and their prices I think are VERY good.

http://www.thoughtsthatstick.com/index.php