Life in the A-Frame

Life in the A-Frame

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

"Waste not...."


This pretty pumpkin has lasted all through October..November..December..and had no signs of deteriorating. All through December, it even sat out on my porch. I asked my Mom what she thought I should do with it. She told me that's why people always used to grow pumpkins-because they last and store very well for winter. She said that I could eat it or put it in the compost pile in the garden to let nature take its course. I actually did a little of each.




I cut it up and scraped it out. That left the seeds, the top and the bottom to go in the garden.


I roasted the pieces with salt and olive oil. I removed the peeling and cut the flesh into chunks. Then I put one package in the fridge for later and cooked half of the pumpkin with bacon and one clove of garlic.
It tasted really good. I think I'll blend up the other package and use it for muffins.

I was proud of using this pumpkin for its real purpose.





4 comments:

Unknown said...

When you cooked it with the bacon and garlic did it taste like squash ... or did it have a distinct pumpkin-y taste to it? No one in the family besides me likes squash, but, if I could convince them they were eating real pumpkin, maybe I could get away with it. :D

Connie said...

It's surprising that it stayed fresh that long. Good for you for using it. Sounds tasty! :)

Southern Comfort said...

Hi Daisy, it was tasty! And, it was a very nice surprise for me to be able to enjoy it in several different ways.
Hello to you too Pam. It tasted like pumpkin to me but most people probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between it and squash because they don't eat that much of either. I say...try to convince them to eat it. Ky Lynn liked it.

CityMom2 said...

It sounds delicious! I wish I'd bought a pumpkin last fall.
You are right they keep forever and the orange is such a healthy vegetable.
Thanks for the great idea. I believe I'll plant me some pumpkins this year.
Best,
Citymom