Life in the A-Frame

Life in the A-Frame

Saturday, September 27, 2008

Any volunteers? Anyone? Anyone?

I have never commented online about any social issue-I think. I hope this qualifies.





Mother's milk in ice cream? Ben & Jerry's isn't so sure
PETA says it would reduce the suffering of cows and produce a healthier product.


ASSOCIATED PRESS Friday, September 26, 2008
WATERBURY, Vt. — Mooove over, Holsteins. PETA wants Ben & Jerry's Homemade Ice Cream to tap nursing moms, rather than cows, for the milk used in its ice cream.
People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals is asking the ice cream maker to begin using breast milk in its products instead of cow's milk, saying it would reduce the suffering of cows and produce a healthier product.
The idea got a cool reception Thursday from Ben & Jerry's officials, the company's customers and even La Leche League International, the world's oldest breast-feeding support group.
PETA wrote a letter to company founders Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield on Tuesday, telling them cow's milk is hazardous and that milking them is cruel.
Ashley Byrne, a campaign coordinator for PETA, acknowledged the implausibility of substituting breast milk for cow's milk, but said it's no stranger than humans consuming the milk of another species.
At the Ben & Jerry's factory in Waterbury, consumers gave a collective "Ewww" to the idea. "I think it's a little nutty," said the Rev. Roger Wooton of Malden, Mass.
Jen Wahlbrink of Phoenix said she wouldn't touch ice cream made from mother's milk. She remembers her nursing days — and not that fondly. "The (breast) pumps just weren't that much fun. You really do feel like a cow," she said.



I read this article Friday in the newspaper. I thought that it was a joke but apparently not.


You know, I'm having a really hard time putting myself in the place of the cow. I'm thinking too hard here. On second thought, commenting on social issues is too stressful.

4 comments:

Mom24 said...

Too gross. And that's from an ardent breast feeder. I think they're attitude really cheapens breastfeeding.

Southern Comfort said...

I am also a breast feeding advocate and I think their ideas cheapens humans in general.I would be embarrassed if I were them and this was my idea.

Southern Comfort said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Southern Comfort said...

all of my comments that are deleted and removed by the author are just my own comments that I somehow publish TWICE. (not mean ones-just my own ineptness)