Life in the A-Frame

Life in the A-Frame

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Dignity and Peace, Peaceful rest

Here is a closer look at the cemetery that dates back to the early 1800's, that I can see on my morning walk. It is a beautiful, quiet, country place on the side and top of a large hill. It is very, very peaceful, and makes me feel serene.


Catherine Oldham was "the sunshine of our home".

Frank, 10 months old, was God's little lamb.




We can see Bryan/College Station from the top of the hill-and it's 30 miles away.



This is looking back toward my house.


My dearest neighbor is buried here. She adopted my kids as her own grandkids and I miss her. I discovered that her head stone is broken, probably by a bull dozer that did some work at the cemetery. Her marker should read "Alma Zona Marks".


Two headstones, the words too worn to read, stand together close to the top of the hill.
















James Lightfoot's headstone features a set of clasped hands and I can't make out the part about "29 days" on the piece behind it. I don't know if it is part of his or someone else's.




A simple large stone marks this grave-an unknown, unnamed soul resting in peace.

2 comments:

KathyB. said...

Walking through cemeteries and reading headstones brings the reality of death and also of life summed up. When I read many headstones I want to weep over the young deaths, and the losses of war, but also , the praises of some of the older people make me wonder what my headstone might read if written by those I consider my dearest. What would God have written? Lovely post.

Southern Comfort said...

I saw the headstones of an older couple once and the two were joined by an arch. I loved it and thought that I would like mine and Mike's to be like that. These things really make you think about your life-and eternity.