Life in the A-Frame

Life in the A-Frame

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Grandpa's table



While we were visiting my son, Lee, we accidentally started a home improvement project. He has my grandpa's table and it had cheap veneer glued to the top. It was so cracked and had chunks flaking off. We were talking about the table and feeling of it when we discovered that we could peel off the veneer fairly easily. What didn't peel off right away could be chiseled off. So we all started working.

Lee


 
Mike


 
The veneer is gone and underneath is a pretty wooden top.


Now, the guys do a lot of sanding-all by hand.


 
Time out for a little horseplay...

Lee and I put on Linseed oil as a fnish, and Peggi photographs us.


 
Mike takes a break.


 
I think Grandpa would like how the finished table looks. I think it looks really pretty.
I remember him, sitting at this table with a cup of coffee, reading and talking or working on something...and talking. I also remember huge, magnificent meals prepared by my Grandmother-covering this entire table. We sat together many times, right around this table. It was a joy to get it refinished a bit. We will remember...and enjoy...for many years to come.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great job, y'all. It looks fabulous! And, what a treasure to be able to sit at a table that holds such memories from the past ... and future ones too. :)

Connie said...

It looks great! Sounds like you have many wonderful memories from times spent around that table. What a treasure! :)