Life in the A-Frame

Life in the A-Frame

Friday, July 20, 2012

Changing the way we eat around here

My plan to lose weight:
I originally planned my day around the idea that I would eat 1200 calories of food that was low on the glycemic index. That meant vegetables, no simple carbs, lean meat, egg whites, and a little dairy. That did cause me to lose weight very quickly. Because I made it my policy to exercise fairly intensively twice every day, I learned that 1200 calories isn't enough food. After about a month and a half, I found that I could add a few things to my diet, so I added more milk, another fruit and a small glass of red wine. I tried to balance my diet so that I was eating enough good food. I wanted to eat exactly what my body needed every day. I've found that I eat according to a basic plan but keep things flexible because we like to eat out in restaurants, at church and at family gatherings. I also wanted to eat what was freshly grown in my garden. And...I love meat.
Every day I eat:
3 glasses of 1% milk
1 cup organic plain yogurt
2 fruits
3 meals with protein
2 snacks with protein
unlimited vegetables and olive oil
flax meal
2 tsp cinnamon (for helping control blood sugar levels)
4 oz. merlot
2 servings of nuts
1 good cup of coffee (that means strong, with evaporated milk)

If we eat out:
Mike and I share a plate or
I take half of mine home for my daughter or
I eat the main meat entree and skip the rice and chips or pasta
I mainly choose chicken or fish
Every month we eat a ribeye steak, just a smaller portion than we used to eat


I haven't been good about adding grains back in my diet but I am working on it. I have an occasional serving of whole wheat pasta or brown rice but I should have some every day.


I do not count calories and I do not like to be hungry!
I have been eating this way for about 3 months and I have lost about 10 pounds per month.

Here is a typical day for me:
coffee with about 2 tablespoons evaporated milk, 1 tablespoon natural peanut butter (the ingredients are peanuts and salt) and a fruit (usually a medium apple or plum) as a pre exercise snack
Take my 4 mile walk. Once or twice a week I walk 6-7 miles. I recently have been running 1 1/2 miles twice a week as part of my 4 mile walk
Flax meal "muffin" with egg whites and cinnamon, 8 oz. milk
lunch-leftovers or a serving of meat with vegetables or salad. I don't use any salad dressing. I would rather have a little cheese,  one glass milk
exercise at 3 o'clock-from a dvd or exercise machine for 45-60 minutes
1 glass milk, 1 serving almonds or walnuts as a snack
4 oz. merlot
swim
supper-lots of vegetables roasted with olive oil and salt. Lean meat, 1 cup plain organic yogurt with a serving of fruit. I like peaches or necarines or strawberries with my yogurt.

I don't want to know the calorie count. It is probably pretty high but I do 2 exercise sessions and am still losing weight, so I am okay.

I think a really good part of eating like this is the fact that I can eat this way every day, for the rest of my life, and be completely satisfied. I can treat myself at family gatherings and have some dessert or fried food and no harm is done.

Next, I will tell about my exercise plan. (I've had to buy new clothes 3 times in the last 4 months)



2 comments:

Unknown said...

My meal plan is similar to yours ... though not as rigorous. When I lost all of the weight for Ces' wedding it looked more like yours, but unlike your resolve that you could eat like this forever, I discovered that I missed the grains. The minute I added those kinds of carbs back in ... I gained everything back and then some. So now I am trying to be more balanced about how I am losing. It is a slower pace than when I did it before ... and slower than the weight you are taking off ... but, it is something that I can live with ... and I think I can continue for the rest of my life too, so that is a good thing

I am so, so, so amazed by what you have accomplished. It is totally awesome ... and so are you!

Nina said...

Congratulations, Kerrie! I am-- both, very proud of you, and very happy for you.