Life in the A-Frame

Life in the A-Frame

Monday, July 23, 2012

My exercise plan: a look at my week

The biggest weight loss tip I have is to exercise more than you think you can. I started out walking 2 miles in the morning and attempting to make it through an entire exercise dvd in the afternoon, which took several weeks to accomplish. The first time I rode the exercise bike, I only lasted 10 minutes. If I can start that slowly-at age 53- and work up to being able to run-you can too.
Here is my typical week of exercise now.
Monday-my run day.
     Morning: I warm up by riding the exercise bike for 2 or 3 minutes, stretching, then walking half a mile. Then I run 1 1/2 miles, finishing up with a 2 mile walk. That's 4 miles total.
     Evening: 60 minute total body toning video by Brooke Burke-many, many, many squats, repetitions with weights for my arms, hard abdominal session. I am still working on some of those moves. This is the hardest video I do.
Tuesday Morning: walk 4 miles
              Evening: Denise Austin cardio blast or a dance video.  45 minutes. These are my easiest videos.
Wednesday Morning: 6-7 mile walk
              Evening: exercise bike for 35 minutes or do another video like "Biggest Loser Workout"
Thursday Morning: run day-same as Monday
              Evening: Brooke Burke video
Friday-same as Tuesday
Saturday Morning: 7 mile walk
              Evening: REST! no exercise until Monday morning.
Sunday is always a day of rest.

If I have a rushed afternoon, or have an event to go to, I increase my morning walk to 7 miles and take the afternoon off.
Also, my sister and nieces have been joining me most afternoons for the exercise video workout. It is nice for me to have their company-a very good incentive.

I try to plan my daily activities around these exercise sessions. If I were not retired, I guess I would have to do longer sessions but only once a day. I would try to involve the children in some of that exercise activity if I could. At this stage in my life,  my entire family eats the way I eat now. I don't have to have two menus. If you have small children, you would have to incorporate more of the foods they need but I think you could still cook one meal for everyone. I think you could just add more carbs as side dishes for them. I've never believed in having a different menu for the children. Trying to exercise this intensely while working, and having small children would certainly be a challenge. My suggestion is to get up earlier than they do, and exercise then. Easy for me to say, right?

If you have any tips or words of encouragement, please leave me a comment.If you don't have a blogger account, just post as "anonymous" and add your name to your comment. I'd like to hear from everyone.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

You are Uh Maze Ing!

I agree that it is easier to exercise and stick to it now that I don't have kids in the house. I also think that the advice to wake up early is spot on. Even though I don't have kids to tend to, I have work responsibilities everyday. If I don't get up and workout before I start my workday, it is not going to happen ... I know myself and by the end of the day I am too exhausted to think about working out. So, I try, most mornings, to force myself out of bed and get after it ... and when I don't ... I try to do better the next day! ;)

emily aka ellie said...

I want to come work out with you! I am still trying to find a workout routine that works for me. I am looking forward to the fall's cooler weather so family walks will be possible.

Southern Comfort said...

Pam, I'd love to see you soon. It has been a long time. I'm glad you are also dragging yourself out of bed to work out (and it's not just me).
And Emily, I'd love to have you work out with me. I could carry the baby a while, then you could carry her a while, then Mike.....

KG said...

Hi! I like your blog, I found you via the Tasty Kitchen blog (Homemade Tortillas recipe). Just wanted to let you know I really admire your determination to better yourself through exercise and making better eating choices; I used to be extremely overweight myself (~200 pounds when I was a teenager, then around 170 about a year ago). I don't do anything like walk/run 7 miles a day (crazy!! But in a good way,) but I do yoga each morning, walk my dogs in the afternoon and just try to stay active and eat right. The longer you do it the more it becomes part of your routine, even if there are some mornings the last thing you want to do is work out. It can be a long, hard but it's totally worth it. Don't give up!!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

This post is really great! I am an early riser so I think the best exercise for me is having a morning walk or jog. This is what I usually do to keep my body active throughout the day. And every weekend, I do aerobics to keep my body fit and healthy.

Julene Mangrum