Life in the A-Frame

Life in the A-Frame

Sunday, July 13, 2008

Paula Deen's Gooey Butter Cake


I baked two of these for a church bake sale. My son loves these so much that he was going to buy one of them back from the church. They both sold though, so I owe him one. It really isn't a cake-it's more like bar cookies with a cream cheese topping. The cream cheese is mixed with butter and powdered sugar so that when it bakes, a toasted marshmallow-like top is created. That is why it has cracks on top. It is crispy and toasted on top, gooey underneath.


Paula Deen's Gooey Butter Cake: preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a mixing bowl, cream one box of yellow cake mix, one stick of melted butter and one egg. It will be very thick. Pat out the crust into a 9x13 pan.
In the same mixing bowl, cream 8 oz. cream cheese, 2 eggs, one stick of melted butter, 1 teaspoon vanilla and 1 lb. of powdered sugar. Pour over the crust and bake for about 40 minutes. It should be golden brown on top but still jiggly in the middle. Cool completely. Very rich and sweet!

3 comments:

Beck said...

Oh, I WONDER if that would work with gluten free cake mix? I'm always on the look out for good treats for my Baby!

Beck said...

Ack! My comment got eaten! I was saying that my youngest child has a limited diet because of Celiac Disease and I think this might work for her - I'm going to try it!

Southern Comfort said...

Beck, you are one of the bloggers that inspired me to start my own blog. I read you daily! As for the recipe, I don't know anything about gluten free cooking, and I should learn because I consider myself an accomplished, knowledgeable cook. I really think that the gluten free cake mix would work because I've seen the other things you've made with gluten free products. Let me know if you try this recipe. Be prepared for something really sweet and rich. Thanks for writing.