Life in the A-Frame

Life in the A-Frame

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Happy Birthday to my Mom


We celebrated my Mom's 70th birthday last Sunday. She is so young-only 19years older than I am. We all got together for a brunch. I made this cake for her. It is the "best ever Carrot Cake" from Reader's Digest. It has 3 sticks of butter in it and cream cheese icing, and yes, it was good. We rounded out the menu with migas, pigs in the blanket, and sopapilla cheesecake. It rained hard the entire 24 hours that we were there. The creek was out, and the road was washed out. We were able to make it back home and discovered that we had about half of the rain that she did and our newly enlarged tank is about half full. It was definitely a memorable weekend!

3 comments:

Dawn Marie said...

ohh that cake looks devine..I love carrot cake.

Happy birthday to your mom!

KathyB. said...

That is a pretty cake, and rich too. A good cup of coffee with it would be a very satisfying and filling meal all by itself. ( hey , it's got carrots in it, so that's a meal)

Did you use a stencil for the decoration?

Southern Comfort said...

Kathy, I did use a stencil-for the very first time. It worked well except I didn't let the icing dry at all. It made the stencil stick really well to the cake and it was hard to pull off. I also didn't have a shaker for the sugar so I had to wing it with my fingers. I thought it was pretty though.