Life in the A-Frame

Life in the A-Frame

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

A Movie to enjoy:Waitress

I've watched this movie twice since yesterday. "Waitress" is the story of a young, very unhappy, woman who is a master pie-baker. She is saving money in order to leave her abusive husband when she discovers that she is pregnant. She doesn't want the child at all, and she actually doesn't know how to make her life any better. She feels trapped and worthless. She doesn't discover that she is actually rich in life because of her 2 waitress friends, the pie diner's owner Joe, and her extreme baking talent. She doesn't even discover her own self worth until her baby girl is born.
Keri Russell plays Jenna, the unhappy waitress, and Andy Griffith plays Joe, the pie diner's owner. No one likes him except Jenna and they become friends. My favorite line from the movie comes from Joe. He tells Jenna "I'm dreaming for you, because my dreams is all gone".
Jenna lives to create pies. She makes up a new recipe each day and serves them at the diner. The end of the movie is wonderful because she finally realizes that she has control over her own life. When she finally gives birth, she calls the baby that she never wanted "the love of my life". Then Joe gives her a gift that enables her to own her own diner and she is able to live a full, contented life.


After watching the movie, my daughter told me that writer/director Adrienne Shelly ( who also plays one of waitresses, Dawn) was murdered in her office building by a construction worker before the film opened in theaters or appeared at the Sundance Film Festival. He tried to make it look like a suicide but investigators discovered the truth a few days later. I was looking up articles about her and found out that she also wrote the lullaby that Jenna sings to her baby at the end of the movie:

Baby don’t be blue
Gonna make for you
Gonna make a pie with a heart in the middle
Gonna be a pie
from heaven above
Gonna be filled
with strawberry love
Baby don’t you cry
Gonna make a pie
Hold you forever in the middle of my heart.


I am truly touched by this movie. I hope you will check it out sometime and enjoy it as much as me.

4 comments:

Mom24 said...

Thanks. I've always wanted to see this. You gave me the push I needed. I just put it on reserve.

Southern Comfort said...

I hope you enjoy it. It is a mix of dark and light. It is humorous and silly at times-especially the waitresses but you will come to love them. And...you will want to make some pies!

KathyB. said...

I think I need to see this movie. I am just needing a good movie night. Soon, real soon. I gather you are happy with NetFlix!Maybe I will need to check into it too.

Southern Comfort said...

I really love Netflix and I resisted getting it for a few years. We can watch a movie of our choice instead of flipping channels at night. We really love old black and white movies. Waitress is a fairly new movie and I was pleasantly surprised.