Life in the A-Frame

Life in the A-Frame

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

The rain falls, the tank fills...

Over the last week, we have gotten almost 10 inches of rain. That's more than our total for the last 18 months. As you know, it takes a hard rain to make the water run off of the soil, and you can tell how hard it is raining in this picture. Mike braves the storm, yes-it is thundering and lightning, and digs out a runoff area so that the water is diverted into our newly enlarged tank. He already had the "dry creek" built but it was raining so hard that the water was running over the sides. He runs out and shovels out some more dirt and builds up a better dam. It really helps and the tank is now half full of water.
This is my muddy view from the front deck. I can see the water from here! It is very reddish brown from the clay but it will settle. The water will clear up and water plants will start to grow. Then it will be ready for some catfish. Hopefully we will get some more rain and it will finish filling up.
I love reading your comments and from now on, I will reply to them in my comments section. KathyB from http://cedarpond.blogspot.com/ does this and I love it. So if you ask me a question or leave me a comment, check back by my comment section for the reply. Thanks!

3 comments:

KathyB. said...

Wow, that is a lot of rain, even by Pacific Northwest standards.

How long does it take to get catfish started and thriving? This is very interesting. Have you checked into Tilapia at all? Around here raising Tilapia at home has been promoted and it is for sale in all the supermarkets. My son-in-law would eventually like to raise them , but as of now I don't know anyone who raises catfish or tilapia.

Southern Comfort said...

That is a lot of rain, but my Mom's county had more on her birthday weekend (10-12 inches in 24 hours)!
I guess I like catfish the most because that was what we caught growing up. We have caught some whoppers! I remember my dad pulling a 42 pounder out of his tank one Easter. I love the taste of tilapia and I think they are catching on around here. I usually don't buy it in the store because all I can find are farm raised ones from other countries. I wonder if I can raise both in the same tank? I have to do some research..
It takes about 1 1/2-2 years until the catfish are a good eating size, which is around 3 pounds. We get them when they are six inches long, so they actually grow fast. Let me know if your son-in-law has any luck.

KathyB. said...

Thanks! Very interesting. I remember eating catfish my Dad caught when we lived in Louisiana, they are tasty!